Aernouts, Charles Capture Titles in Ironman Lanzarote
Belgian Bart Aernouts of the Uplace-BMC Pro team, took the men’s elite title of Ironman Lanzarote, finishing in 8:34:13. It was a dominant showing for the multiple duathlon world champion, combining a decent 50:34 swim, a race best 4:48:23 bike split, and a 2nd fastest 2:48:28 marathon, which took him to the finish with a 9:10 winning margin over Alessandro Degasperi of Italy who finished in 8:43:23. Defending champion of the United States completed podium, finishing third at 8:49:02.
Aernouts was 3 minutes and 36 seconds off behind a quadruple pack of swim leaders. Aernouts though wasted no time in chopping off the deficit, registering the day’s best bike split, a slow but methodical 4:48 bike split, that is only testament to Lanzarote’s reputation as one of the toughest Ironman bike courses. The Belgian was never threatened on the run, and paced the 2nd fastest run split of the day on his way to the finish.
Lucy Charles, a British Olympic level long distance swimmer, bursted out of the starting line, registering a 47:06 swim split, faster than any of the top 5 mens finishers. The gap was 5 minutes and 20 seconds faster than any pro women on the field, and combined with a women’s best 5:23:29 bike split, again a split that was 6 minutes and 16 seconds faster, means she took a staggering lead entering T2.
Charles finished her marathon at 3:18:35, the 3rd best among the pro women. Compatriot and runner-up Corinne Abraham, slashed 14 minutes and 18 seconds off Charles lead in the run, posting a women’s best 3:03:53 marathon split, but would still finish 8 minutes and 49 seconds behind, showing Charles’ domination in the swim-bike legs. Great Britain swept the podium as Lucy Gossage finished in 9:50:22.
Canarias Islands, Spain
May 20, 2017
S 3.8km / B 180km / R 42km
1. Bart Aernouts (BEL) 8:34:13
2. Alessandro Degasperi (ITA) 8:43:23
3. Jesse Thomas (USA) 8:49:02
4. Peru Afaro (ESP) 8:52:10
5. Romain Guillaume (FRA) 8:57:01
6. Samuel Huerzeler (SUI) 8:59:07
7. Timothy Van Houten (BEL) 9:01:13
8. Cedric Lassonde (FRA) 9:14:50
9. Guillaume Lecallier (FRA) 9:15:46
10. Trevor Delsaut (FRA) 9:15:17
1. Lucy Charles (GBR) 9:35:40
2. Corinne Abraham (GBR) 9:44:29
3. Lucy Gossage (GBR) 9:50:22
4. Jeanne Collonge (FRA) 10:04:46
5. Saleta Castro (ESP) 10:11:45
6. Kate Comber (GBR) 10:22:54
7. Pia Englyst (DEN)10:52:16
8. Kelly Fillnow (USA) 10:56:28
9. Kristin-Linst Schink (GER) 11:07:33
10. Patricia Bueno Perez (ESP) 11:38:09
Share this article